8090 EP (Master Deluxe)

Friday, February 10, 2012

Understanding "13 weeks"

"13 weeks" to me is a song of awakening.
And every time that I hear it, I can recall how I felt at that moment and time and the feeling I had in my heart.

*Warning* This song is about real life and you might tear up.

Before I start going in to more detail , I will now request that you press play or replay.



I heard the instrumental while chilling at Henry's one day and wanted to write to the track. I remember feeling a eery and mysterious feeling upon first hearing it. ..The Bassline and the nostalgic sound.
You know that sound. You should have heard it by now if you have pressed play!
:)

So there are so many things I could have said on this track and then I got this phone call that changed all of that and at that time I was like damn.
For those who don't know. This song is about EDD.
Never would have guessed right?

So here is the scoop...Everyone should know when you are down to your last 13 weeks on Unemployment they give you a nice but not so nice courtesy call letting you know that the party is almost over.

And at that time, I was stuck in the decision of do I really want to go back to 9-5 hell. My previous job situation had been nothing short of hell...not to mentions all the other previous odd jobs, while trying to pursue what I really wanted to do which is sing, write and dance.

Hence the opening lines to the track "Life in Retrograde"..
What does "Retrograde" mean? It means Moving backwards when you should be moving forward.
And yes when in Retrograde thoughts can seem very gray...Those last "13 weeks" were like a ticking time bomb in my life, and even though I smiled I was very afraid.

Then I wrote..."Eyes now Open..Walk upright...These are the times"
That's the forever optimism that apply to my life regardless of any situation.
I truly just try to stick it out and keep my eyes open and Walk like a human being...not a caveman. :)

"Countdown Begins, 13 weeks, 13 weeks..."
Oh shit. Tick tock tick.

"Eyes now open, Walk upright, today is the day"


"Feels like the world is mad at me, attacking every where I turn"
Family and friends thought I was crazy for sticking to my art. I lost friends. Family kinda shunned me. Always been a black sheep. Ouch.
But still...
"Eyes now Open, Walk upright, Now is the Time.."
Everything that occurred in my life at that moment and time only made me stronger.
For it was the magic inside that was shining through it all. I had finally released my power. My potential.
Nothing could stop me. Not Family not Friends. Not you, Not them.

The icing on the cake for my decision to remain true to myself...true to all my life dreams...
"Can't rewind my life.
Can't pause these dreams.
Power my focus
and play my song."

You know my momma always told me, you don't want to get old thinking about what you could have done with your life.
So this is My inspiration to you.
"Can't rewind your life.
Can't pause your dreams.
Power your focus.
AND PLAY MY SONG."

Live your dreams, as if you have "13 weeks" to change your life.

Take it from me and Kermit. :P



Thanks for listening and understanding.



-Maya Songbird

No comments:

Post a Comment